Robert Godwin has been covering the non-profit scene in Austin from the time of blue jeans and backyard barbeques to the black-tie galas of today. With over 20,000 events recorded by word and photo, Godwin leads the leagues in rubber chicken consumption. As a constant witness to the power of publicity, he now seeks to enlist a legion of assistants by sharing his knowledge of the publicity process.
Cattle Baron’s Ball Set for August 29th (American Cancer Society)
Funds Raised at Cattle Baron’s Ball of Austin Will Help the American Cancer Society Serve More Central Texas Cancer Patients
WHAT: The American Cancer Society 21st Anniversary Cattle Baron’s Ball of Austin will include live music, gourmet southern cuisine and cocktails, fabulous live and silent auction items, and uniquely Texas activities and games. Country music singer and Texas’ own Lee Roy Parnell will be rocking the stage as this year’s headline entertainment.
WHEN: Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 7 p.m.
WHERE: JW Marriott, located at 110 East 2nd Street
During the live auction, there will be a special bid called the “restricted gift ask” where all of the funds donated during that paddle raise go to a specific cause of the American Cancer Society. This year’s Cattle Baron’s Ball committee chose ACS programs and services.
- 24/7 Hotline: American Cancer Society National Cancer Information Center (NCIC): located in Austin, provides free information and support every minute of every day to constituents who visit cancer.org or call 1-800-227-2345;
- Lodging: the American Cancer Society partners with local hotels across the country to provide rooms for cancer patients and their caregivers traveling for treatment.
- Transportation: The American Cancer Society Road To Recovery® program provides free rides to cancer patients to and from treatments and cancer-related appointments. Trained volunteer drivers donate their time and the use of their personal vehicles to help patients get to the treatments they need.
- Side Effects: Look Good Feel Better® workshops help women with cancer manage the appearance-related side effects of treatment. Trained volunteer beauty professionals teach simple techniques on skin care, makeup, and nail care, and give practical tips on hair loss, wigs, and head coverings.
BACKGROUND: In Austin, the American Cancer Society currently funds eight researchers at The University of Texas at Austin, with a total investment of more than $3.7 million. Statewide, the Society funds nearly $36 million in research, including $11.5 million at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Beyond research, the American Cancer Society also provides free programs and services to cancer patients and their caregivers. Last year in Central Texas, cancer patients received more than 8,600 free services from the American Cancer Society, ranging from information and support to much-needed transportation to and from treatment.
For more information and tickets, please visit: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/Gala/GalaFY10HighPlains?pg=entry&fr_id=69755#.Vdc_9q3bLug
Calendar of Events
- Wimberley Arts Fest
The Waters Point13401 RR 12Wimberley, TX 78676 Saturday, April 22, 10am – Sunday, April 23, 2017, 5pm The Wimberley Valley Art League hosts its 9th annual Arts Fest at a new location directly on the B…
- Austin Food + Wine: Feast Under the Stars
Austin Food + Wine Festival800 W Riverside Dr, Austin, Texas 78704 Thursday, April 27, 2017, 6:30pm Join us Thursday night before the festival for our prelude event. We’re rolling out the tabletops an…
- UMLAUF Garden Party: "Under a Texas Sky"
Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum605 Robert E. Lee RoadAustin TX 78704 Thursday, April 27, 2017, 6:30 – 9:30pm UMLAUF's Garden Party, this year on Thursday, April 27, and themed "Under a…
- 2017 Austin Food + Wine Festival
Austin Food + Wine Festival800 W Riverside Dr, Austin, Texas 78704 Friday, April 28 – Sunday, April 30, 2017 Get prepped for tastings, libations, hands-on grilling demos, and more from the world’s ris…
- Stand Up for CareBOX Program
Atlassian Austin303 Colorado Street, Austin, Texas Friday, April 28, 2017, 7 – 11pm The Second Annual Stand Up for CareBOX Program event features Austin's funniest comedians, locally crafted beer…